Whether you prefer knitting or crocheting, one thing we can all agree on is the wonder of YARN. It makes us happy, and we even get butterflies in our stomach when we encounter a particularly soft or beautiful fiber. We long to snuggle with it and hold it next to our skin, and we can spend hours alone with it, completely content. There are countless reasons we love this fabulous craft supply, but this year, in honor of Valentine’s Day, I’ve narrowed down my reasons to a neat and tidy top ten. Oh yarn, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
10. My yarn always agrees with my Netflix or Pandora choices. I can happily stitch away, watching or listening to whatever my heart desires.
9. The rainbow of colors in a yarn shop makes me smile every time. Whenever I see all those brilliant hues, I get a rush as I imagine all of the amazing possibilities. You can even dye your own yarn and create your own signature blend of colors.
8. Novelty yarns don’t take themselves too seriously. They are fun, playful ways to make unique projects with simple stitches. They do all the work involved in spicing up your fabric, so no intricate techniques or stitch patterns are necessary to create an outstanding piece.
7. My yarn doesn’t judge me for wearing pajamas every time we meet.
6. There is always a new and exciting fiber to try, so it’s easy to keep the spark in your crafting alive. Have you tried yarn made with bison down, possum, or milk? What about recycled sari ribbons? Yarn never fails to surprise me.
5. Besides knitting or crocheting, there are lots of other creative uses for yarn. You can make a pompom garland, string art, or even a clever yarn bouquet.
4. Yarn is a forgiving medium. If you don’t like what you’ve created, it’s easy to rip back and start again. You may utter some expletives during this process, but your yarn won’t hold a grudge and you can start with a clean slate.
3. Some yarns make me feel a little closer to nature. When I’m working with a soft wool or alpaca yarn, I can picture the fascinating journey the fiber has traveled to make it from the farm to my fingers.
2. There is a yarn for every budget. I’m no yarn snob, and I firmly believe there is a time and place for every fiber, from acrylic to yak. If I could think of a fiber that starts with Z, I would have said that – but you get it.
1. I’ve met so many friendly, interesting, and inspiring people simply because we share a love of yarn. Whether I strike up a conversation with a fellow knitter on a plane or compliment someone on a gorgeous crocheted hat, it’s so satisfying to watch someone’s eyes light up over something I’m passionate about. Plus, since we yarnies are part of an active online community, I can gush about yarn with enthusiasts across the globe… all while wearing my pajamas.
I’d love to hear some of the reasons YOU love yarn. Leave a comment here or on Facebook, and let me know!